Jo Frederick  MA, BA (Hons), MRCSLT.

© Jo Frederick   

T: 07505 496544


Frequently Asked Questions

What happens at first?

Please contact me by telephone or e mail if you think I can help you and your child. During this contact I will take some basic details. I do not charge for this first contact.

If we agree that I could help I will then make a date to meet you and your child for an initial assessment.

How will you carry out an assessment?

I might use specific tests, carry out observations at home or educational setting as well as talk to you about your child’s development and what you have noticed. This would usually take an hour of time. Sometimes a child needs to be seen at home and in school for complete assessment of their needs.

What will happen after assessment?

After assessment is complete we  will agree how best we can work together to help your child. I may then complete a report or therapy plan. You will get a copy of this and, with your permission, I can also send it to anyone else involved in supporting your child.

What will happen in a therapy session?

They will usually not be more than 45 minutes in length. During this a parent or member of staff will need to be present to work with me and jointly agree the therapy to be carried out before the next session. These sessions will be child-centred, fun and practical with opportunities for questions. Following each session I will record what work we have carried out and spend time preparing for the next session.

Will there be activities to do at home?

Yes, the best progress can be made if there are lots of opportunities to practice therapy activities in different communication situations throughout the week.

How long will we see you for?

This will be dependent on your child’s difficulties and progress on the specific therapy plan and your wishes.

Can my child see an independent therapist and an NHS therapist?

Yes, a child can have an NHS therapist and an independent therapist at the same time. It is important that the two therapists are able to liaise closely with each other to support you and your child.

Useful websites:

British Stammering Association

Information on stammering

Michael Palin Centre

More information on stammering, in particular for parents

I can

Charity supporting children with communication difficulties

Communication trust

Coalition of voluntary and community organisations with expertise in speech, language and communication.

Talking Point

Site with lots of information about communication and language development


Charity supporting children with brain-related conditions